Monday 9 May 2011

On new beginnings

Welp, I just got back for a walk in the quaint little town Josh helped me abscond to. I failed to get lost, in spite of my best efforts, and discovered that if one follows the train tracks they run through the whole town and straight into the heart of a cluster of stores, gas stations, banks and restaurants, although I failed to find the either the particular bank I need to go withdraw money from to pay Josh for gas, or a Tim Horton's, where I planned to get myself some dinner because I feel weird about taking food out of someone else's pantry. Oh well. In place of Timmie's, I went to a grocery store and bought myself two bags of chips (on sale for $0.99 each, and taste just as good as regular chips despite being a generic no-name brand. Yeah, fuck you Lays), a chocolate bar and a can of coke out of the vending machine outside. I also discovered food is FUCKING expensive. $3.19 for a box of popcorn with 3 bags of popcorn in it? $3.60 for a can of soup? Yeah, I don't think so...

Here's a summary of what's happened since I went AWOL from my parents' place...


Day One: Monday
It was three thirty in the morning when Josh arrived to pick up me and my shit. I dropped my crap in the first room he showed me, one downstairs with a fireplace, and since neither of us would be able to sleep for a while we decided to watch a movie. No Country for Old Men. I barely processed any of it. I stared blankly at Josh's laptop screen until we were both too exhausted to stay awake any longer, then stumbled downstairs to my new room. The fireplace kept the room nice and toasty despite the fact that it was in the basement, but the shift in temperature made it creak periodically, wake me up and scare the shit out of me.

Mom called sometime in the morning, and I ignored her the first few times until I was ready to be awake. She demanded to know where I was, but all I would tell her was that I was with a friend, and that I was safe. When I got upstairs, I found a guy sitting in the living room, who I knew immediately was Josh's younger brother, Jordy. Josh and I sat on the couch and watched the rest of No Country for Old Men while I waited for my brain to turn back on and start processing what had happened. It didn't, so eventually I just got up off the couch, took a shower, and then started making a list of things I needed to do and stuff I needed to buy. Eventually I begged Josh to take me to the grocery store where I work, then Wal-Mart. At the grocery store I updated my address and phone number, and applied for another position as a gas bar cashier in an area a little farther into the city just in case I don't get the cashier position I wanted. Afterwards, Josh and I jaunted off to Wal-Mart where I spent about a hundred bucks on basic amenities, namely socks, underwear, and a personal hygiene toolbox.